LAFAYETTE, Calif. (AP) — The Latest on an American who was killed in the attacks in Spain (all times local):

5:30 p.m.

California resident Jared Tucker and his new bride had just sent joyful pictures from their first trip to Europe, a vacation they'd saved for to celebrate their 1-year anniversary. The last pictures arrived a day before tragedy struck.

Tucker's family in Northern California learned Friday that he was among those killed in a deadly truck attack a day earlier in Barcelona, Spain.

He says the family is still in disbelief that the one American victim of the attack was him.

His father, Dan Tucker, says he had not seen his son happier than he had been in the last year.

He says his only consolation is that 42-year-old Jared probably died happy.

___

1:15 p.m.

A man says his son, a California resident, is among the dead in a truck attack in Barcelona, Spain.

Daniel Tucker tells The Daily News of New York that his son Jared Tucker's body was identified by his wife at the morgue Friday.

Tucker says, "It's just something we really just don't understand."

Jared Tucker and his wife, Heidi Nunes, were visiting Barcelona for their first wedding anniversary. Tucker and his father worked together installing swimming pools.

The elder Tucker tells the newspaper that "everybody loved him."

Secretary of State Rex Tillerson on Friday confirmed an American died in the attack that killed 13. He says diplomats from the U.S. consulate in Barcelona are providing assistance to other Americans in need.

___

8 a.m.

The State Department says at least one American was killed and one injured in the attacks in Barcelona and Cambrils, Spain.

In remarks to State Department staff on Friday, Secretary of State Rex Tillerson confirmed the death and expressed condolences to the victim's family. He said diplomats from the U.S. consulate in Barcelona are working with local authorities to identify victims and provide assistance to other Americans in need.

The department had said earlier that Spanish authorities had reported that there were still "several" casualties who had not been identified.

Neither Tillerson nor the department in an earlier statement identified either of the American casualties. The department said the injured American suffered only a minor wound.