Man killed, 3 firefighters injured in house fire
Mar. 09, 2016
WEST NEWBURY, Mass. (AP) — Authorities say a man has died and three firefighters have been injured in a West Newbury house fire that was likely caused by an electrical malfunction.
The flames broke out around 7:15 a.m. Tuesday.
An elderly man's body was found inside the home. Officials haven't confirmed his identity but he's believed to be the homeowner.
State Fire Marshal Peter Ostroskey says the fire originated in the basement. The neutral wire for the electrical service had become disconnected and is the most probable cause.
He says there is no evidence the home had any working smoke alarms.
Chief Michael Dwyer says three firefighters were taken to a hospital for smoke inhalation.
The fire marshal says the man is the 19th person in the state this year to die in a fire.