WEST BURKE, Vt. (AP) — Vermont fire investigators say a cigarette sparked a garage fire and propane tank explosion that destroyed two homes.

State and local authorities say the fire in West Burke on Sunday was caused by a cigarette that was put out near a pile of dried leaves around the garage.

West Burke Fire Department Chief Tom Villeneuve told the Caledonian Record that when firefighters arrived the garage was fully engulfed in flames and it had spread to the nearby house.

A propane tank explosion sent debris, some of it flaming, in every direction, catching a vacant house across the street on fire as well as starting several small fires around the village.

No one was seriously injured.

___

Information from: The Caledonian-Record, http://www.caledonianrecord.com