SD's first West Nile death this year occurs in Brown County
Aug. 01, 2018
ABERDEEN, S.D. (AP) — The first confirmed West Nile virus-related death in South Dakota this summer has occurred in the northeastern part of the state.
The American News reports that Joshua Clayton, state epidemiologist, said Tuesday that a woman in her 80s had died. As of last Thursday, there were two people with confirmed cases in Buffalo and Minnehaha counties. People who donated blood tested positive for West Nile in six counties.
Clayton says about 20 percent of people exposed to the virus show symptoms, while the other 80 percent naturally make antibodies to fight it off. Clayton said West Nile cases have started slower this year, but predictive models anticipate roughly 127 cases.
So far this season, South Dakota has reported 10 cases of human West Nile virus and three hospitalizations.
Information from: Aberdeen American News, http://www.aberdeennews.com