Sinatra Says He Won't Cross Picket Lines at Bally's
Oct. 12, 1989
LAS VEGAS (AP) _ Frank Sinatra says he won't cross picket lines at Bally's unless musicians have settled their strike by the Oct. 19 opening of his engagement at the resort.
Sinatra feels ''obligated not to violate the picket line for the musicians I have worked with since the '40s,'' according to a statement released by Frank Sinatra Jr., who is his father's musical director.
Several other top entertainers have refused to work in the showrooms of the three Las Vegas resorts that musicians have struck in a dispute over guaranteed pay and the use of taped music.
Wayne Newton, Dean Martin, Rodney Dangerfield, Connie Francis, Dionne Warwick, Burt Bacharach and Bill Medley have refused to perform at Caesars, Bally's and the Las Vegas Hilton.
Talks in the dispute broke off earlier this month, when Musicians Union Local 369 officials rejected an offer the resorts said was final.
Hotel officials have replaced live orchestras with taped music in production shows at the three resorts. They say they will pay musicians working the headliner rooms only for the time they actually work, refusing to guarantee them a certain number of weeks of pay.