St. Helens permit sales re-open Monday after website crash
Feb. 23, 2018
VANCOUVER, Wash. (AP) — People who weren't able to get permits to climb Mount St. Helens when the website crashed earlier this month will have another chance Monday.
Mount St. Helens Institute says they're using a new vendor that can handle the demand when climbing permit sales resume 9 a.m. Monday.
The Columbian newspaper says as many as 17,000 people tried to get online in the first hour Feb. 1 to buy one of the $22 climbing permits. That's about three times more than usual.
About 20 percent of the 2018 climbing permits were purchased on Feb. 1. The remaining 80 percent will be available starting Monday.
Anyone planning to ascend above 4,800 feet on the 8,363-foot volcano in southwest Washington needs a permit.
From April 1 to May 15, 500 permits are available each day. Only 100 permits at allotted each day between May 16 and Oct. 31.