PHNOM PENH, Cambodia (AP) _ The government said Thursday that initial results of tests on human remains from southern Cambodia indicated they were those of three Australian and British travelers kidnapped in April.

The government previously had declined to confirm assertions by Australian Foreign Minister Gareth Evans that forensic evidence suggested the three were dead.

Britons Dominic Chappell, 25, and Tina Dominy, 24, and Australian Kellie Wilkinson, 24, were seized by armed men who stopped their taxi in southern Cambodia.

The government said it had not received any news about their whereabouts since a week or two after they were seized.

But remains were recently recovered in a nearby village. Investigators sent them to England for analysis.

''The competent authorities of Cambodia confirmed the initial results of these investigations, that the samples of the remains'' are those of Wilkinson, Chappell and Dominy, a government statement said.

It added that if the reports proved conclusive, the government ''wishes to condemn in the strongest terms the senseless murder of the three innocent young foreigners by the Khmer Rouge.''

The Khmer Rouge guerrilla group has denied responsibility for the kidnapping and there is no proof to support the government's accusation. Government soldiers, who are underpaid, regularly stop motorists to demand money on the road the three were traveling.

Three other foreigners have disappeared in northern Cambodia this year and still are missing.

Briton Robert Burndred, 23, disappeared in late January with a female Thai friend. Belgians Michel Baran, 31, a U.N. economic researcher, and his girlfriend, Nathalie Roobaert, 29, were last seen in May. All were presumed to have crossed into Cambodia from neighboring Thailand.