Las Cruces settles brutality, civil rights case for $1.4M
Feb. 26, 2018
LAS CRUCES, N.M. (AP) — A southern New Mexico city has settled a police brutality case for $1.4 million.
The Las Cruces Sun-News reports that a couple had sued the city, alleging police brutality and civil rights violations.
Jillian Beck said police slammed her face onto rocks, and injured her nose and wrist after responding to a dispute between neighbors. Andrew Beck alleged he illegally was detained in the January 2013 incident when he tried to help his wife.
A jury awarded the couple $1.6 million a year ago.
The city had been expected to appeal the decision. Instead, it settled months ago.
The Becks' attorney recently said the couple is healing from the trauma and she's hopeful the case brings positive change.
A city spokesman didn't immediately respond to a request for comment Monday.