Asprilla to Newcastle Deal Off
Feb. 05, 1996
PARMA, Italy (AP) _ Colombian striker Faustino Asprilla's proposed $10.6 million transfer to Newcastle is off, the AC Parma team president said Sunday.
The English Premier League leader had reservations about a knee injury to the 26-year-old striker and wanted to lower the price. But Parma canceled the deal at a meeting between representatives of the clubs Sunday in Milan.
``Our medical reports are to the contrary and therefore it wasn't possible to reach an accord,'' Parma president Giorgio Pedraneschi said after his team beat Sampdoria of Genoa 1-0 to move into a virtual tie for second place in the Italian first division.
Pedraneschi, who admonished Newcastle for raising the injury question after an accord had been reached, said Parma may seek an arbitration hearing with FIFA, world soccer's governing body.
Parma was willing to let the mercurial star go after a series of off-the-field controversies and disagreements with coach Nevio Scala.
While Asprilla, who watched Sunday's game from the stands, has scored 25 goals in 84 league games since joining Parma in 1992, the 26-year-old has made just six appearances this season.
Asked if his knee is sound, Asprilla said: ``The only thing I have in my knee are goals.''