Boston Winter festival canceled for City Hall upgrades
Jul. 04, 2018
BOSTON (AP) — Boston's City Hall Plaza will not be a winter wonderland this year.
City officials said Tuesday the mayor is moving forward with a $60 million overhaul of the plaza, which means Boston Winter is canceled.
More than 300,000 people visited the festival last year for activities such as outdoor skating, a Bavarian village and a Christmas tree maze.
The city says while the festival showed the potential for activating the space, it also underscored a need for system upgrades.
The new design for the plaza includes a seasonal fountain, a renovation of the North Side entrance of City Hall and infrastructure improvements.
Mayor Martin Walsh says the improvements are necessary for the long-term viability of City Hall and the plaza.
Construction is expected to begin in 2019.