Thumbnails on Flood Dead With AM-Flood Rdp, Bjt
The Associated Press
Jul. 15, 1993
Undated (AP) _ Fast-rising rivers and the treacherous combination of water and electricity have killed 25 people in the Midwest since flooding began last month.
Three men have been electrocuted. Nine people in cars have been washed into rivers, creeks and watery farmfields.
The fatalities occurred in seven states; the first was June 25.
Missouri, 13 dead.
- Eric Warren, 20, and Jill May, 15, both of Lawson, died July 1 when their car was swept down Coon Branch near Lawson.
- Ira E. Conley, 52, and Eva Conley, 54, of Pleasanton, Kan., killed when their car was washed into a creek near Adrian, Mo., on July 2.
- Michaela Giuntini, 43, of Prairie Village, Kan., was killed July 5 in a multiple-vehicle accident near Rock Port on Interstate 29, which was flooded because of crumbling levees.
- Two vehicles were swept into Flat Creek near Cassville on July 6: William Boen, 53, of Owensboro, Ky., died in one car, and Jean Krone, 43, of Newburg, Ill., and her daughter, Brenda Krone, 10, of Momence, Ill., drowned in a second vehicle.
- Jacqueline Viola Cole, 55, of Shell Knob, Mo., died July 6 when her car was washed off a state road south of Jenkins.
- Robert Gardner was electrocuted July 8 when he touched a refrigerator in his flooded business in Pattonsburg.
- Adrian Glen Leaton, 36, of Columbia drowned while trying to wade across a water-covered highway near McBaine, Mo., on July 9.
- The body of Richard Abbott, 47, of Kansas City, Kan., an apparent drowning victim, was found July 10 when 8 feet of water receded from a street in Kansas City, Mo.
- Mark Tracey, 35, of Kansas City, Mo., was found electrocuted in a flooded city basement on July 11.
Illinois, 3 dead.
- Kenneth Kroske, 24, of West Dundee, Ill., drowned when his canoe capsized near the Fox River Shores Forest Preserve on July 2. His body was found three days later by a fisherman in Aurora outside Chicago.
- The bodies of a Rock Falls, Ill., couple who failed to return from a July 11 fishing trip were recovered Tuesday from the Rock River. Gail Manning, 34, and Eldon Keith Manning, 36, were found nearly 5 miles downstream from their submerged boat.
Iowa, 3 dead.
- Vernon Neiderhiser, 70, of Ely, Iowa, drowned July 7 after his car ran off a blacktop road in eastern Iowa and landed in a field flooded from Coralville Reservoir backup.
- April Dedrick, 22, and Sayna Lee Stewart, 19, who was seven months' pregnant, died June 12 when flash flooding washed out a section of a Benton County road. Their car plunged into a 10-foot-deep hole where a culvert had been.
Minnesota, 3 dead.
- Joe Xiong, 4, of St. Paul, Minn., drowned June 25 after falling into the Redwood River in southwestern Minnesota where he'd been fishing with his three brothers.
- Shelly Epps, 11, of Kilkenny, Minn., drowned June 28 in the flooded Cannon River after wading into a lake swept by the river. Strong currents pulled Shelly and her 5-year-old sister under, but a 13-year-old friend was able to rescue the younger girl.
- Andrew Sather, 5, of Pine Island, Minn., drowned July 4 in the swollen Zumbro River where his family had gathered for a picnic and evening fireworks.
Nebraska, 1 dead.
- Tab Harlan, 34, was electrocuted July 10 when was walking in Omaha during a thunderstorm and came into contact with a downed power line.
South Dakota, 1 dead.
- Xavier McCarthy, 82, of Dell Rapids, S.D., apparently ignored a road closure sign July 4. Water swept his car off a county road into a flooded field with McCarthy trapped inside. His body was recovered by divers.
Wisconsin, 1 dead.
- Christopher Heinlein, 18, of Boston, a student at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, died when the 16-foot boat in which he was riding was drawn through the floodgates of a dam July 8 in the northeastern Wisconsin town of De Pere. His body was found July 11.