LAUREL, Del. (AP) _ A man wearing a bulletproof vest killed two people and wounded four others Thursday during a rampage in Maryland and Delaware before police arrested him, authorities said.

Police said the suspect also carjacked a vehicle, shot and killed a dog, and rammed a sport utility vehicle into a house during the crime spree. Delaware State Police Cpl. Jeff Oldham said authorities have determined a motive for the attacks, but are not releasing details. The suspect did not know any of the victims.

``Quite a morning for a little rural town,'' said Laurel's mayor, John Shwed.

The attacks started in Laurel, where three men were shot, and continued across the border in Maryland, where the suspect fled on foot before being caught. The three other people were shot in Salisbury, Md., including one who died, Oldham said.

Police identified the suspect only as a man in his late teens or early 20s. A witness said police told her that the suspect was trying to shoot into an apartment in Laurel where his girlfriend lived when the spree began.

Two people were shot at the apartment building, and another at a nearby shopping center.

``It was just poom, poom, poom, poom. It just scared me so bad,'' said Matilda Smith, a resident of the apartment building.

She saw a young man covered in blood fall off an air-conditioning unit he had been sitting on, about 20 feet from her door step. ``To me, what I could see was nothing but blood; it shook me up,'' she said. ``I stood there and couldn't believe what I was seeing.''

At the shopping center, a trail of blood led down a road. Witnesses said a man was shot on side of the road, then staggered along the storefronts before collapsing. The mayor said this victim was apparently shot while trying to hitch a ride from the suspect as he fled the scene.

In Salisbury, Md., he ran a sport utility vehicle into a house, then carjacked a vehicle and was involved in an accident, police said. Maryland State Police said the suspect was wearing the bulletproof vest and carrying a handgun when he was caught in Salisbury.

``He was obviously prepared for a confrontation,'' said Col. Thomas Hutchins, the Maryland State Police superintendent.

Of the four wounded, two were listed in very serious condition.

Glenn Steckman, the town manager for Laurel, said that schools and government buildings were temporarily locked down after the violence. One of the


AP writer Sarah Brumfield contributed to this story from Salisbury.