PITTSBURGH (AP) — Authorities say fire crews have been dousing a fire in a compost pile fire in Pennsylvania with water because of smoke and elevated carbon monoxide readings.

Allegheny County fire department officials said the blaze was reported at about 5:45 p.m. Friday in Clairton near Pittsburgh. County officials said the smoldering blaze in a large illegally created compost pile was producing smoke with elevated carbon monoxide readings near homes, and runoff from the hillside was also affecting Peters Creek.

An unmanned water nozzle on fog was used over the weekend, but the pile began to smolder Sunday evening, so responding agencies started dousing it with water. County officials say the water has decreased the smoke and Monday's carbon monoxide levels are low.