Diamondbacks send Tomas to minors, release Ross
Apr. 05, 2015
PHOENIX (AP) — Yasmany Tomas was sent to the minors Saturday night by the Arizona Diamondbacks after the $68.5 million free agent from Cuba failed to make their opening-day roster.
Arizona also released veteran outfielder Cody Ross, discarding yet another player with a hefty salary. Ross was due to make $8.5 million this season in the final guaranteed year of a $26 million, three-year contract. His deal includes a $9.5 million club option for 2016 with a $1 million buyout.
Tomas was optioned to Triple-A Reno. Arizona signed him to a $68.5 million, six-year contract in the offseason, but he got off to a sluggish start in spring training and struggled at times playing third base.
In other moves, the Diamondbacks selected the contract of pitcher Archie Bradley, a touted prospect who will open the season in the starting rotation, from Reno. They also added catcher Gerald Laird and utility player Jordan Pacheco to the 25-man major league roster. Pacheco can play the infield and outfield as well as catcher.
The 34-year-old Ross batted .256 with six RBIs in 39 spring training at-bats after hitting .252 with two homers and 15 RBIs in 202 at-bats last year. He was the 2010 NL Championship Series MVP with San Francisco.
Just a few days ago, new manager Chip Hale said Ross would be one of five outfielders on the opening-day roster, but the Diamondbacks changed course.
Hale also said right-hander Trevor Cahill had secured a spot in the rotation before he was traded to Atlanta for a minor leaguer on Thursday, a deal in which Arizona is sending Atlanta $6.8 million. That move saved the Diamondbacks a chunk of Cahill's $12 million salary, which was to be the highest on the team this season.
And veteran second baseman Aaron Hill, owed $12 million both this season and next, was relegated to the bench when the Diamondbacks decided to go with youngsters Chris Owings and Nick Ahmed as the starters in the middle of the infield.
Earlier in the day, the Diamondbacks optioned left-handers Vidal Nuno and Robbie Ray to Triple-A and sent right-hander Enrique Burgos to Double-A Mobile.
Arizona catcher Blake Lalli was reassigned to minor league camp.
Nuno and Ray had been competing for spots in the bullpen, though Nuno was scheduled to start Saturday's spring training game against the Chicago Cubs before being scratched. He had an 8.20 ERA in four spring appearances.
Ray had a 6.35 ERA with 16 strikeouts and nine walks in six appearances.
Lalli had been competing with Laird to be Arizona's backup catcher behind Tuffy Gosewisch.
Diamondbacks pitchers David Hernandez, Patrick Corbin and Matt Stites were placed on the 15-day disabled list. Right-hander Bronson Arroyo went on the 60-day DL.