Parents of Stabbing Victim Seek $5 Million In Wrongful Death Lawsuit
RAY FORMANEK JR.
Feb. 20, 1986
CHICAGO (AP) _ The parents of a teen-ager who bled to death after being stabbed by another youth have filed a $5 million lawsuit alleging that officers delayed transporting him a half-block to a hospital.
Delores and Johnnie Glenn said in the suit filed Wednesday against police and the city that their son, Neuman Scott, 16, died on Jan. 12 because a sergeant and two officers refused to take him to the hospital for nearly an hour.
''They refused to take him despite the fact that he had to crawl the few feet to their patrol cars from where he was stabbed,'' said Louis S. Goldstein, the family's attorney. ''The kid literally just laid there and bled to death.''
Scott was stabbed after he quarreled with another youth shortly after 6 p.m., Goldstein said. Rufus Houston, 16, was arrested moments after the stabbing and has been charged with murder.
Named as defendants in the lawsuit, filed in Cook County Circuit Court, were police Sgt. Robert A. McMahon, patrolmen Bert Dugan and Thomas L. Turner, Police Superintendent Fred Rice Jr. and the city of Chicago.
The lawsuit also charges that Scott's constitutional rights were violated because he was black.
''You can bet if he had been a white kid in a good neighborhood they wouldn't have left him lying on the sidewalk for more than 45 minutes,'' said Goldstein.
An investigation into the case by the police department's Internal Affairs Division exonerated the officers, said police Lt. Bruce Powell, a spokesman for the division.
''We found that statements given to police at the time were false,'' said Powell. ''The officers got the call about the stabbing about 6:15 p.m. and Scott died at 6:59 p.m. That seems like pretty good response to me.''
Powell said two officers were near the scene of the stabbing but were answering another call. Other officers took Scott to the hospital.
A hearing date has not been set on the lawsuit.