Boys accused of threatening first lady warned to stay out of trouble
Dec. 02, 1997
MEMPHIS, Tenn. (AP) _ Two 13-year-old boys who sent Hillary Rodham Clinton a threatening e-mail will not have a record if they behave themselves for one year, a juvenile court said Monday.
The e-mail claimed a sniper was outside the White House and a satchel with a bomb in it was on the White House grounds.
The boys, whose names were not released, sent the message to the White House Web page last month as a prank. They were ``scared to death and very apologetic'' when federal agents came calling shortly afterward, said their lawyer, Kemper Durand.
``They were just playing on the computer after soccer practice one day,'' Durand said. ``They're super little kids. They just pulled a dumb stunt.''
The boys were charged with delinquency, but a juvenile court took the charges under advisement, meaning if the boys stay out of trouble for one year the charges will be dismissed.
Durand said the boys' parents have grounded them and taken away their computers.
``Whether it went to court or not, the parents were going to do their own adjudication,'' he said.