Allergy death on airplane could have been avoided, coroner says
Oct. 08, 1997
MANCHESTER, England (AP) _ The death of a Lithuanian Airlines passenger who suffered an acute allergic reaction to nuts in an inflight meal could have been avoided, a coroner ruled Wednesday.
Wendy Ingham of Todmorden, West Yorkshire, had not told the airline of her allergy, but it still should have made available a menu listing the ingredients of its meals, North Manchester Coroner Barrie Williams said.
He recorded a verdict of death by misadventure.
Williams' verdict carries no penalties against the airline, but he did urge all airlines to buy adrenalin injection equipment that could help stop an acute allergic reaction.
Ingham, 36, collapsed during a flight from Vilnius to London on June 17 after eating a salad containing walnuts. The pilot made an emergency landing in Copenhagen, but she was dead on arrival at a local hospital.
Airline spokesman Genovaite Balseviciene said if Ingham's allergy been known, a special meal would have been prepared for her.