ASHBURNHAM, Mass. (AP) — A convenience store that residents in a small Massachusetts town say was one of the only places they could buy things like coffee and gas has been gutted by a fire.

The Sentinel and Enterprise reports ( ) that smoke could be seen from more than a mile away on Wednesday as flames consumed Mr. Mike's Mini Mart in Ashburnham.

No one was injured in the three-alarm fire. Firefighters fought successfully to keep the flames away from gas pumps in front of the store and large propane tanks next door.

Adam Darnobid, who witnessed the fire, said the convenience store was "a huge part of town."

Investigators have not determined what started the fire.


Information from: Sentinel & Enterprise (Fitchburg, Mass.),