The Latest: Divers stop search for 3rd tugboat crash victim
Mar. 14, 2016
NEW YORK (AP) — The Latest on a fatal tugboat crash on the Hudson River (all times local):
Divers have stopped searching for a man still missing a day after a tugboat crashed into a barge north of New York City, killing two other crew members.
A Westchester County police spokesman says divers cannot access a section of the tugboat where they believe the body of 56-year-old Harry Hernandez, of Staten Island, is because of severe damage. He says an aerial and river search will continue on the possibility the body was ejected from the boat.
Earlier Sunday, divers found the body of 29-year-old Timothy Conklin, of Westbury, Long Island, inside the tugboat. Sixty-two-year-old Paul Amon, of Bayview, New Jersey, was found dead in the water Saturday.
O'Leary says commercial divers will arrive on the scene Monday to figure out how to remove the wreckage from the river.
A day after a tugboat crashed into a barge north of New York City, Gov. Andrew Cuomo has met with the family of a second crew member whose body was pulled out of the Hudson River.
A third crew member was still missing on Sunday.
Cuomo said the visibility for divers searching the water and the badly damaged tug was only about 6 inches, and much of the operation is being done "by feel."
The governor said he spent some time with the family of Timothy Conklin, whose body was recovered late Sunday morning.
The accident is under investigation, but Cuomo said there were reports of radio transmissions from the tug saying, according to the governor, "We are too close. We have to move left."
A second crew member's body has been found by police divers in the Hudson River after a tugboat crashed into a barge north of New York City.
Authorities say the body of 29-year-old Timothy Conklin, of Westbury, Long Island, New York, was found inside the tugboat around 11 a.m. Sunday.
Westchester County Executive Rob Astorino said one of the crewmen, 62-year-old Paul Amon, of Bayview, New Jersey, had been found dead in the water Saturday.
One more crew member remains missing. He has been identified as 56-year-old Harry Hernandez, of Staten Island, New York.
The boat that crashed early Saturday morning was one of three tugs pushing a barge down the Hudson. It hit a stationary barge that was part of the Tappan Zee Bridge construction project.
Divers are in the waters of the Hudson River looking for two tugboat crew members missing after a deadly crash.
The search for the men resumed Sunday morning. Authorities said they were presumed dead after the 90-foot tugboat named Specialist hit a barge near the Tappan Zee Bridge, which connects two counties north of New York City, around 5:20 a.m. Saturday.
The boat sank within minutes. A fellow crew member was killed.
Authorities said three tugboats were pushing a barge from Albany to Jersey City, New Jersey, when one of the three — situated on the right side as it headed south — hit a stationary barge that was part of the Tappan Zee Bridge construction project.
A search for two missing crew members of a tugboat that crashed into a barge and sank in the Hudson River has stretched into another day. Emergency responders are expected to resume their efforts Sunday morning.
The two men, who haven't been identified, were presumed dead after the 90-foot tugboat named Specialist hit a barge around 5:20 a.m. Saturday and sank, killing a fellow crew member and spilling about 5,000 gallons of fuel into the water north of New York City.
Authorities say the tugboat hit a stationary barge that was part of the new Tappan Zee Bridge construction project. The crewman who died was identified as 62-year-old Paul Amon, of Bayville, New Jersey.