Four Ohio Teens Eat Seeds of Jimson Weed
Sep. 26, 2003
LIMA, Ohio (AP) _ Four high school students lay in critical condition Friday _ two of them on life-support _ after eating the seeds of a hallucinogenic weed, authorities said.
The students, ages 17 and 18, ate the jimson weed seeds late Thursday, said Shawnee Township police Chief Richard Kohli.
The weed can cause nausea, blurred vision and convulsions and send a person into a coma. It is commonly found on farms.
The teenagers were hospitalized after their families noticed they felt ill and were confused, said Dr. Eric Kirschner. The two on life support were sedated to prevent them from injuring themselves because of hallucinations.
All four should stop hallucinating within 48 hours and should not have permanent health problems, Kirschner said.
Last year, there were 1,072 poisonings, including one death, from jimson weed and similar plants, according to the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.