Firefighters' Quick Work Saves Child In Car Window
Sep. 02, 1991
OLATHE, Kan. (AP) _ Two firefighters who just happened to be nearby were able to save a 2-year- old girl who was being choked by a parked car's power window.
Joanna Granzow was unconscious by the time the firefighters reached her, but they managed to revive her.
Capt. Ken Keiter and firefighter David Dock of the Olathe Fire Department were soliciting contributions for the Muscular Dystrophy Association on Saturday.
''We heard this couple scream, 'Hey, that little girl's got her head stuck in the car window 3/8''' Keiter recalled Sunday.
''We ran over to the parking lot from the intersection, and it was scary - this little girl was all purple.''
Joanna apparently touched the window control switch with her leg when she put her head out the window of her parents' car. The glass came up and choked her.
Her father, Lyle Granzow, was in the front seat but did not hear her.
''My eyes were closed, and the next thing I knew she just kind of looked like she was dead with her eyes looking up in the air and all glassy,'' said Granzow.
The firefighters lowered the window and got Joanna out of the car.
''Once we got her head out of the window, she was real purple and unconscious, no breath and no pulse,'' Keiter said.
Keiter said he and Dock began performing cardiopulmonary resuscitation.
''It seemed like it was going on forever, and she wasn't responding to it at all,'' Keiter said. ''So we just kept going ...
''Then she started coughing and gasping, and the color started coming back into her face.''
Joanna was taken to Shawnee Mission Medical Center and released later Saturday.
''I can't thank those firemen enough,'' Granzow said. ''Who knows what kind of damage Joanna might have if she had to wait for the paramedics to arrive. These guys were right there. They're heroes - they saved her life.''