10 Things to Know for Today
The Associated Press
Feb. 27, 2015
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:
1. MEXICAN DRUG LORD CAPTURED
Servando "La Tuta" Gomez, who once terrorized western Michoacan state, was captured by federal police, according to a Mexican official.
2. DESPITE SPAT WITH U.S., ISRAELI LEADER IS FIGHTING IRAN NUKE DEAL
Benjamin Netanyahu's speech to Congress next week is overshadowed by a battle with the White House and electoral intrigue back home.
3. HOPEFUL SIGNS IN UKRAINE
Separatist fighters in the east of the country move rocket launchers to a location 70 kilometers (43 miles) back from the front line with government troops in the first confirmed compliance with a cease-fire.
4. ISLAMIC STATE THREAT BOOSTS BUSINESS FOR KURDISH GUNSMITH
The peshmerga force, which has been at war against the Sunni extremists since last June, is keeping Bahktiyar Sadr-Aldeen's workshop in Iraq's Irbil busy.
5. GERMAN PARLIAMENT APPROVES GREECE'S BAILOUT EXTENSION
Lawmakers voted 542-32 to back the measure in exchange for a commitment to budget reforms. There were 13 abstentions.
6. SHOOTINGS IN SOUTHEASTERN MISSOURI LEAVE MANY DEAD
Police say eight people were killed, including the 36-year-old suspect, in multiple locations in and around the town of Tyrone.
7. ANTARCTICA'S RETREATING ICE MAY RE-SHAPE EARTH
The glacial melting could push sea levels up 10 feet worldwide in a century or two, recurving heavily populated coastlines.
8. CAMBODIA'S TEMPLES SUFFER FROM A FORM OF OVEREXPOSURE
At least five foreign visitors have been arrested and deported this year for taking nude photos at the sacred sites.
9. WHAT NEW STUDY SUGGESTS ABOUT NICOTINE SOURCES
Many Americans who smoke use combinations of products, and often e-cigarettes are part of the mix.
10. 'HOUSE OF CARDS' DEALS NETFLIX A WINNING HAND
The show was an immediate hit with viewers and critics, giving the company the financial clout to further transform how we watch and define "television."