Puckett's Trial Set for Feb. 24
Nov. 19, 2002
%mlink(STRY:; PHOTO:; AUDIO:%)
MINNEAPOLIS (AP) _ Hall of Famer Kirby Puckett, who is charged with criminal sexual conduct, will go on trial Feb. 24, a Hennepin County judge decided Tuesday.
The former Minnesota Twins outfielder, who appeared in court for a brief hearing, is accused of groping a woman at a restaurant in September.
Prosecutors charged Puckett, 41, with a felony count of false imprisonment and a gross misdemeanor count of criminal sexual conduct. If convicted, he would most likely be put on probation and given less than a year in the county workhouse, County Attorney Amy Klobuchar has said.
A woman told prosecutors Puckett pulled her into the men's restroom at the restaurant in a Minneapolis suburb Sept. 6, then groped her. The woman told police Puckett let her go after a friend of hers yelled into the restroom.
Puckett has said he is innocent.
Puckett retired in 1995 after 12 seasons with the Twins. His .318 career batting average was the best for a right-handed hitter since Joe DiMaggio. He was inducted into the Hall of Fame last year and now works for the Twins as an executive vice president.