MANHATTAN, Kan. (AP) _ Kansas State fans will think twice before they yell ``air ball'' at Fred Hoiberg again.

The Iowa State senior missed his first four shots Saturday, including an uncharacteristic brick that hit nothing but the floor. But he blitzed the Wildcats with three 3-pointers at the end of the half and led the 14th-ranked Cyclones past K-State 79-73 Saturday.

``I finally got into a groove,'' Hoiberg said. ``As a shooter, you don't want to open a game with an air ball, and I did. And the crowd let me know it.''

Hoiberg and Loren Meyer each hit two free throws in the final minute as the Cyclones (15-2 overall, 2-1 Big Eight) recorded only their third win at Manhattan in 17 years.

``They missed a few 3's late,'' Iowa State coach Tim Floyd said. ``Had they made them, we're beat. The press shook us. But we played with poise defensively and we played hard and spirited. We got a couple of fortunate bounces.''

Iowa State was leading by seven when Elliott Hatcher hit a 3-pointer for Kansas State (10-7, 1-4) and Belvis Noland stole an inbounds pass and fed to Demond Davis for a layup, making it 75-73 with 47 seconds left.

Then Meyer was fouled and made both free throws. With 13 seconds to play, Hoiberg clinched the victory with two more foul shots as Kansas State (10-7, 1-4) lost its fourth in a row.

Hoiberg led the Cyclones with 24 points, while Meyer and Julius Michalik each had 17.

``We did a good job on Hoiberg early, but then he got loose,'' Kansas State coach Tom Asbury said. ``We tried three different guys on him.''

Noland scored 19 for Kansas State and Davis 14.

Hoiberg's 15-footer put the Cyclones ahead 61-58 and triggered an 11-2 run that James Hamilton capped with a three-point play for a 70-60 lead with 3:41 to play.

Noland's third 3-pointer halted the surge, then a moment later Davis pulled the Wildcats within four when he was fouled on a layup and converted the free throw, making it 72-68 with 1:53 to play.

After missing his first four shots, Hoiberg made three straight 3-pointers in the final two minutes of the half, putting the Cyclones ahead 40-34 at intermission.