CAIRO, Egypt (AP) _ An Iraqi deputy prime minister, appearing healthy in a televised interview today, denied opposition claims that he had been wounded in an assassination attempt this week.

Qatar's Al-Jazeera Television, the Arab world's most popular station, showed Mohammed Hamza al-Zubeidi walking somewhat stiffly but without difficulty onto the set.

``You are seeing me in front of you. No assassination attempt has taken place,'' al-Zubeidi said.

The day before, an Iran-based opposition group called the Supreme Council for the Islamic Revolution in Iraq said al-Zubeidi, 58, was shot and wounded just outside Baghdad.

The group claimed its military wing, the Islamic Resistance, carried out the attack on Tuesday. It did not offer any specifics on what injuries al-Zubeidi might have suffered.

Iraqi officials quickly responded to the group's claim Wednesday, saying al-Zubeidi had not been attacked. The quick response appeared to reflect an unusual level of concern by the government, which typically ignores opposition reports.

``They try to spread rumors in order to create instability inside Iraq and warp its reputation around the world,'' said al-Zubeidi, who was wearing an olive green military uniform.

Al-Zubeidi, a trusted aide of President Saddam Hussein, was Iraq's prime minister from 1991-93. He serves on the Revolutionary Command Council, Iraq's top decision-making body, and is the military governor of a region covering the predominantly Shiite areas of Babylon, Karbala, Najaf, Qadissiya and Muthana.