Yankees Call Up Henson
Sep. 05, 2003
TORONTO (AP) _ So much for those rumors that Drew Henson was going to quit baseball right away.
The New York Yankees called up the former Michigan quarterback from Triple-A Columbus on Thursday.
``Drew is going to be a backup for us,'' Yankees manager Joe Torre said after a 3-2 victory at Toronto. ``He gives us that one extra guy.''
The AL East-leading Yankees can use an extra infielder going into a three-game series against Boston beginning Friday night.
Shortstop Derek Jeter is not expected to play against the Red Sox because of a strained rib cage. Reserve infielder Erick Almonte strained his right calf Wednesday and is expected to be sidelined for a week.
Henson hit .234 with 14 home runs, 40 doubles and 78 RBIs at Columbus this season. He also struck out 122 times and made 28 errors at third base.
There had been reports in the last week that Henson was headed to the NFL. The Houston Texans picked him in the sixth round of the NFL draft last April.
After Columbus played its final game last weekend, Henson said he'd take 6-to-8 weeks off and think about his future.
Henson signed a $17 million, six-year contract with the Yankees when he left college after his junior season in 2001. He was considered the Yankees' third baseman of the future at the time, but has struggled in the minors.
The 23-year-old Henson's path seemed blocked when the Yankees acquired All-Star third baseman Aaron Boone from Cincinnati at the trade deadline.
The 6-foot-5, 220-pound Henson has shown power but strikes out about once a game. His struggles at third base prompted talk that he might be shifted to the outfield.
Henson made his major league debut last year with the Yankees. He went 0-for-1 in three games.