Padres Panel Aims for New Park
Oct. 11, 1997
SAN DIEGO (AP) _ A task force assigned to decide a site and financing for a proposed new ballpark for the San Diego Padres should be able to finish its work by the end of the year, its chairman said Friday.
The City Task Force on Ballpark Planning will be aided by work done by a previous task force, chairman Patrick Shea said.
The first task force determined last month that the Padres can't generate the necessary revenue to survive if they remain in Qualcomm Stadium after their lease expires in two seasons. Qualcomm Stadium was expanded to 71,600 seats earlier this year to accommodate the NFL's Chargers.
The issue of a new ballpark will have to go to a public vote sometime next year, perhaps in June.
Padres owner John Moores would like a new ballpark built on the downtown waterfront. He has said that the Padres will pay for a portion of a new ballpark.
The task force will consider two downtown sites and a site next to Qualcomm Stadium in Mission Valley.