Murder charge filed in shooting outside Boys and Girls Club
Sep. 15, 2015
ROCHESTER, N.Y. (AP) — A 21-year-old gang member has been charged with killing three people and wounding four others by shooting a stolen assault rifle into a crowd outside the Rochester Boys and Girls Club last month, authorities said Tuesday.
Johnny Blackshell Jr. of the Rochester suburb of Chili is charged with first-degree murder in a case that will be heard by a grand jury following an initial court appearance Wednesday, Monroe County District Attorney Sandra Doorley said at a news conference.
Blackshell has been in custody on unrelated charges since the week after the Aug. 19 drive-by shooting and has admitted his involvement, Doorley said.
Additional arrests are possible.
"This is still an ongoing investigation," the prosecutor said. "We don't believe Mr. Blackshell was the only one in that vehicle on Aug. 19 and we will not rest until we have all those involved held accountable."
Investigators said Blackshell opened fire on a crowd leaving an evening basketball game, killing 17-year-old Jonah Barley, 19-year-old Raekwon Manigault and Johnny Johnson Jr., 25. Each was shot in the head.
Injured were Billy Williams, 26; Carey Bradley, 19; Anthony Jones, 24, and Carl Canty, 29.
The assault rifle used had been stolen during a burglary, Police Chief Michael Ciminelli said.
City court records did not indicate whether Blackshell has a lawyer.
In addition to murder, he is charged with several federal crimes related to the earlier armed robbery of a convenience store, according to U.S. Attorney William Hochul, who said Blackshell is a member of a gang called the "Maroon Goons."
Also Tuesday, Mayor Lovely Warren announced a series of initiatives meant to curb gun violence in the western New York city. She said she would ask the City Council to fund a gun buyback in October and is working on developing a specialized gun crimes court.
Warren also said she would invite the state's other city mayors to participate in an anti-violence summit.