The Latest: New Mexico men face federal threat charges
Feb. 24, 2018
FARMINGTON, N.M. (AP) — The Latest on school threats made in New Mexico (all times local):
Two New Mexico men are facing federal charges for allegedly using social media to post school shooting threats.
The U.S. Attorney's Office in New Mexico announced the charges in the two cases Friday, saying they stemmed from tips the FBI and other law enforcement had received.
FBI Special Agent in Charge Terry Wade says the agency has zero tolerance for anyone who threatens to do harm to others.
The FBI arrested 25-year-old Sebastian Jarvison of Brimhall, New Mexico, on Thursday. Authorities say his Facebook posts allegedly included threats to shoot a school and put a bomb on a plane.
Nineteen-year-old John Russell Williams of Farmington is accused of replying to a school shooting threat on Facebook with a slang term that means "let's do it." He's also facing state charges.
It wasn't immediately clear if the men had attorneys.
Farmington police is increasing its presence in the city's public schools in the wake of last week's mass shooting at a Florida school.
Farmington Municipal School District officials announced Friday that uniformed officers and even police Chief Steve Hebbe will make unannounced visits to schools.
Officers will walk through the campus and engage with students and faculty.
Police spokeswoman Georgette Allen says the public shouldn't be alarmed if they see several patrol vehicles outside a school. The heightened police presence is in addition to already employed school resource officers.
The plan will last for at least the rest of the school year.
Allen says the idea stemmed from conversations police and district officials had about how to collaborate in light of recent talk about school shootings.