Former Marine hopeful after no-fly list ruling
Jun. 25, 2014
PORTLAND, Oregon (AP) — A Marine veteran who sued the U.S. government four years ago over its no-fly list says he's cautiously optimistic about a recent ruling that could force federal officials to explain why some people are kept off planes.
A federal judge in Portland, Oregon, on Tuesday instructed the Department of Homeland Security to inform people what unclassified information led to their placement on the list.
Abe Mashal says being banned from flying to or within the U.S. nearly cost him his dog-training business, for which he must travel to meet clients. He says he learned he was on the list in 2010, when he was surrounded by police at a Chicago airport.
Mashal says he was able to fly again last year but still doesn't know why he was on the list.