Ex-LA Times Exec. Pleads No Contest
Dec. 17, 1997
LOS ANGELES (AP) _ A former Los Angeles Times executive pleaded no contest Tuesday to stealing $778,500 by billing the newspaper for freelance articles that were never written.
Charles Boesch, 53, will be sentenced to four years in prison and ordered to repay the newspaper when he is sentenced Jan. 7, said prosecutor Brent Collier.
Boesch was fired as editorial business director in July. He took the money between October 1993 and January 1997, prosecutors said.
The 34-year Times veteran prepared fake invoices and article summaries and submitted them to the Times' accounting department for payment to outside accomplices, Collier said.
The scheme was uncovered during an audit, Collier said.
Boesch, in a statement released through his sister after his arrest last month, said working for the Times was so stressful he had a breakdown. He did not address the specifics of the accusations against him.
Boesch's accomplices included his former son-in-law, Michael Wayne Coburn, 27, and Jacqueline Barrios, 20. Coburn also pleaded no contest Tuesday and faces up to three years in prison. Barrios' case was postponed because she was late for court.