SAN JOSE, Calif. (AP) _ Francisco Uribe, a top player in the Mexican first division for the past 10 years, was acquired Wednesday by the San Jose Clash of Major League Soccer.

Uribe, who spent last season with Veracruz, agreed to a multiyear contract with MLS.

``Soccer fans in general and Mexican soccer fans in particular know Francisco Uribe is a true professional and a proven goal-scorer,'' Clash president Peter Bridgwater said. ``He is still at the top of his game, and he's a perfect fit for our team, both on and off the field.''

Uribe replaces Juan Pablo Rodriguez, 18, acquired last month from the Atlas of Guadalajara. Bridgwater said Rodriguez had weakness in his left leg because of a past knee injury, and the team decided not to risk going through with the deal.

Uribe, 31, made his professional debut in 1986. He has played for seven clubs in 13 seasons in the Mexican League.

Uribe led Mexico in scoring during qualifying for the 1994 World Cup with seven goals in six games but shattered his cheekbone and missed the tournament.