NEW YORK (AP) _ The $1 million bonus money offered to an American breaking the national record in a U.S. marathon will end after this year.

New Balance Athletic Shoe, Inc., said Thursday it was withdrawing its offer, but would ``continue our commitment to running by helping youth develop for the future.''

The company began the New Balance Challenge in 1996. After 1997, the promotion was extended through 1998 and modified with $1 million added. So far, no one has collected, although there still are some major marathons to be run this year, including the Chicago and New York City races, before the offer expires Dec. 31.

``We are proud of what the New Balance Challenge accomplished in terms of raising awareness and participation for distance running,'' the company's Jim Davis said.

Now, the firm will expand on major grassroots youths program that will promote and support distance running.