LOS ANGELES (AP) _ A 200-foot construction crane fell on a car at Los Angeles International Airport, killing a motorist, injuring two other people and blocking all four traffic lanes on the airport's upper deck for hours.

Two lanes of the upper traffic deck remained closed today, but two other lanes were opened late Tuesday, airport public relations secretary Rhonda Harris said.

The crane, used in remodeling the Terminal 2 pedestrian walkway, was swinging a heavy steel ball when it toppled over the upper-level departure lanes, said Battalion Chief Thomas Wilson of the city's Fire Department.

Kee Tech Goh, 34, of Beverly Hills, was driving by the scene when part of the crane fell on his car, police said. He died of head and chest injuries Tuesday night at Daniel Freeman Memorial Hospital in nearby Inglewood, said hospital spokeswoman Christie Ciraulo.

''I saw the car moving without a driver,'' said Safdar Khan, a private airport security guard. ''It was like watching a horror movie.''

Two construction workers, Jose Gonzalez, 45, of Buena Park, and Samuel Hayes, 52, of Los Angeles, were taken to Centinela Hospital Medical Center, where they were treated and released. Hayes jumped one story and escaped serious injury in the accident.

The accident's aftermath jammed traffic on Century and Sepulveda boulevards, two major thoroughfares into the airport.

''It was pretty bad. Nobody could move. They couldn't get into the airport,'' police Officer Gene Nabonne said. However, flight schedules were not affected, airline officials said.

Barry Sibson, group vice president of the Turner Construction Co., the contractor overseeing the remodeling, said the amount of weight the crane would be lifting had been meticulously planned.

''We don't know how this could have happened. Everything was planned extremely carefully,'' he said.

Airport officials and investigators with the California Occupational Safety and Health Admininstration were investigating.

Paul Thomas Patterson, project manager for Turner Construction, said the steel contractor, Riverside Steel Co., was in charge of erecting the steel on the project. It was not clear which company's employees were operating the crane.

According to Cal-OSHA records, Riverside Steel has been cited for safety violations in four separate inspections of its work facilities since 1983. The fines totaled more than $1,500, records showed. Company officials at the scene refused to comment.