Sbarro says it will close 155 locations
Feb. 19, 2014
NEW YORK (AP) — Sbarro Inc. says it's closing 155 of its U.S. locations, mostly in mall food courts where traffic has declined.
The Melville, N.Y.-based pizza chain said Wednesday the closures affect 1,400 workers. The move comes as the company is trying to improve its financial performance and update its image under yet another CEO who took over just last year.
Jonathan Dedmon, a representative for Sbarro, says the targeted locations will close Thursday.
"The last day of business is today," he wrote in an email.
Sbarro filed for bankruptcy protection in April 2012 when it was no longer able to contend with declining sales and rising costs. It emerged from Chapter 11 protection in November 2012, saying that it had significantly cut its debt and received a new $35 million capital infusion. Shortly after, it named James Greco, a former head of bagel chain Bruegger's Enterprises, as its CEO. Greco led a push to revitalize the chain's image by touting new recipes and ovens. But the efforts apparently didn't take hold; Sbarro named David Karam its CEO last year.
Dedmon did not respond when asked why Greco was replaced.
Sbarro owns 400 locations in North America. The closures do not affect the additional 175 Sbarro locations in the region that are owned by franchisees. After the closures, Sbarro said it will operate 800 stores worldwide, including 81 that were opened last year.