Tomic advances with win over Blake
Jun. 27, 2013
LONDON (AP) — However long he stays at this year's Wimbledon championships, Australia's Bernard Tomic is resigned to playing without his father and coach being there to see him.
Having defeated James Blake 6-3, 6-4, 7-5 in the second round on Thursday, Tomic was reconciled to being on his own at the All England Club.
John Tomic has been denied access after being accused of head-butting his son's hitting partner during a tournament in Madrid. The father's trial is set for October.
"I don't think they'll be allowing him in, which is OK," Tomic said. "I'm focusing on my matches. I'm still seeing my dad. He's still advising me what to do."
Tomic's father was denied access at Roland Garros last month, and Wimbledon followed suit, after a decision made by the ATP. Tomic previously said he would appeal Wimbledon's decision but the All England Club public relations office said they never received an appeal.
Except for the end of the match, Tomic always seemed in control against Blake.
In the third set, the 20-year-old was serving for the match at 5-4, but played a tentative game and lost serve.
The Australian regrouped and won the next two games, dropping only three points to wrap up the match.
Tomic will next play ninth-seeded Richard Gasquet of France. Gasquet holds a 2-0 lead over Tomic in previous meetings.
"He's very difficult," said Tomic, of the Frenchman. "He's a player that I don't mind playing because I know I've lost to him the last two times I played him, but I feel my game suits him pretty well."
This is Tomic's fourth appearance at Wimbledon, with his best result being to make the quarterfinals in 2011.