Officials say smoking led to fatal Waltham fire
Apr. 04, 2014
WALTHAM, Mass. (AP) — Authorities say an early morning rooming house fire that killed a Waltham man was started by improper disposal of smoking materials.
State Fire Marshal Stephen Coan and Waltham Fire Chief Paul Ciccone also said Friday that a smoke alarm in the man's room had been dismantled. The victim, in his 50s, has not been formally identified.
The officials said the building on Crescent Street had 12 individual rooms with shared bathrooms on three floors. Smoke detectors in the common hallways were working and officials said that helped other residents get out safely. One person was rescued from an upper floor.
The fire was reported at about 3 a.m. Friday.
The Red Cross says 11 adults were displaced.