CLEVELAND (AP) _ A couple sharing a hotel room died of smoke inhalation as a fire raced from a first-floor guest room to their upstairs quarters. Four other guests were treated for smoke inhalation.

Authorities were still trying to determine the identities of the man and woman killed in the fire early Sunday at Gene's Motor Court on the city's east side.

``We have some names, but they don't match the rooms,'' said Joan Weir, a fire department investigator.

Cuyahoga County Coroner Elizabeth Balraj said both victims were badly burned but died from the smoke.

Dorothy Lee, the hotel desk clerk, said eight people were in the two-story building when the fire started on the ground floor.

``People were jumping out the windows,'' she said.

The four injured guests were treated at a local hospital and released.

The blaze caused about $50,000 damage to the modest, wood-framed structure, firefighter Doug Murphy said. The cause of the fire was not immediately determined.