U.S. Seeks Teen's Extradition
Oct. 07, 1997
WASHINGTON (AP) _ Lawmakers are considering withholding $200 million to $1.2 billion in U.S. aid to Israel unless it extradites an American teen-ager accused of fleeing there after allegedly killing a youth in Maryland, Rep. Sonny Callahan said Tuesday.
Callahan, R-Ala., chairman of a House Appropriations Committee panel with jurisdiction over foreign funding, said the United States ``cannot permit an alleged chain-saw murderer to run and hide in Israel.'' He referred to dismemberment of the victim in the case involving 17-year-old Samuel Sheinbein of Wheaton, Md.
Callahan compared the case to a hit-and-run in Washington earlier this year in which the Republic of Georgia waived diplomat immunity for one of its envoys to face charges in the accident that killed a teen-age girl.
Rep. Robert L. Livingston, R-La., chairman of the House Appropriations Committee, told Secretary of State Madeleine Albright last week that lawmakers may punish Israel by withholding some of the $3 billion in annual aid from the United States. He had suggested $100 million.
But in deliberations among House and Senate conferees working on a foreign operations bill, Callahan said lawmakers are now considering freezing anywhere from $200 million to $1.2 billion in aid.
Albright has asked Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu for ``maximum cooperation'' in having Sheinbein tried in Maryland in the Sept. 18 death of Alfredo Enrique Tello Jr., 19.
Israel has so far refused to extradite Sheinbein, who claims Israeli citizenship. If his claim holds up, authorities say he will be tried in Israel. Although Sheinbein has never lived in Israel, he may be considered a citizen because his father, Shlomo, 53, has Israeli citizenship.