Long-time Cuban Boxing Trainer Defects Because He Fears Reprisals
Jul. 31, 1996
MIAMI (AP) _ An outspoken Cuban boxing trainer is asking for political asylum in the United States, claiming he left the Olympics because he feared reprisals for complaining about mistreatment of Cuban athletes.
Mariano Leyva, a 13-year veteran of the Cuban national boxing team, surfaced in Miami on Tuesday after disappearing from the games Saturday.
Leyva's lawyers are preparing his case for asylum and are expected to make their formal application next week. Leyva is the fourth Cuban associated with the Olympics to defect this year, and the first during the games.
``I was supposed to return to Cuba after the Olympic Games and I had certain problems back home so I decided I had to stay for my freedom,'' Leyva said during a news conference. ``I was afraid they would try to squash me. Take away my job.''
Leyva had been contracted to help train the Mexican boxing team, and said he never intended to defect. Under the contract arrangement, Leyva kept 20 percent of his salary and Cuba got the other 80 percent.
He said he learned Cuban officials were unhappy with his criticism of Cuban training methods and feared he would be punished when he returned home.
Leyva had accused other trainers of pushing Cuban boxers too hard and putting them in weight classes he didn't think they should fight in.
``He thought they were not looking after the best interests of the fighters and he voiced his concerns,'' said Alberto Lense, his Miami attorney. ``And they were not very happy about him stating this.''
Leyva's supervisor, a member of the Central Committee of the Cuban Communist Party, was upset with Leyva's statements, and was looking for a way to get rid of him, Lense said.
A friend also told Leyva he was being watched by Cuban security agents, and that party officials were keeping tabs on him.
Leyva also said he was hit by another Cuban trainer during a sparring match between Mexicans and Cubans before the Olympics, and now thinks he was being baited into a fight.
After contacted by some friends in Miami, Leyva arranged to meet Saturday at a bank building in Atlanta. They then drove to Miami.
Leyva's wife of 23 years and four children were left behind in Cuba. When asked about his family, an already nervous Leyva choked back tears.
``I don't come to this country for material things,'' Leyva said. ``I come here for spiritual reasons.''
It is not clear what Leyva will do now, but he is likely headed to the U.S. professional circuit with Team Freedom _ a club of former Cuban boxers.
Prior to the Olympics, two members of Cuba's national boxing team defected. Ramon Garbey, a 175-pound light heavyweight, and Joel Casamyor, a 119-pound bantamweight, fled to the United States in June from a Cuban training camp in Guadalajara, Mexico.
Rolando Arrojo, Cuba's top baseball pitcher, defected last month and is in Miami while his immigration status is resolved. His agent, Joe Cubas, has said Arrojo would like to play in the major leagues.