4th quarter opens on positive note ... Construction spending rebounds ... Monarch not flying
Oct. 02, 2017
NEW YORK (AP) — Stocks opened the first day of trading in the fourth quarter on a positive note, edging further into record territory. Most industry sectors were higher in early trading today, led by gains in technology companies. At 10:11 a.m. Eastern Time, the S&P 500 was up 6 points, at 2,525. The Dow was up 65 points, at 22,470. And the Nasdaq was up 24 points, at 6,520.
WASHINGTON (AP) — U.S. construction spending rebounded in August after two months of declines, helped by strength in home building, nonresidential construction and state and local government construction. The Commerce Department says construction spending increased 0.5 percent in August after declines of 1.2 percent in July and 0.8 percent in June. It was the best showing since a 1.6 percent rise in May. Still, the August gain was not enough to recoup the losses of the past two months, leaving spending 1.5 percent below the May level.
TOKYO (AP) — Nissan is recalling 1.2 million vehicles in Japan that were produced between October 2014 and September this year. Nissan says the vehicles hadn't gone through the proper final checks and they need to be re-inspected. The Japanese automaker says a team, including an independent third party, is investigating the cause of the oversight and Nissan promises to prevent a recurrence.
LONDON (AP) — British authorities are scrambling to bring home 110,000 travelers after Monarch Airlines collapsed today, cancelling all flights by what had been Britain's fifth biggest carrier with 2,100 employees. The Civil Aviation Authority says it has leased 30 aircraft to transport Monarch customers scattered around holiday destinations ranging from Turkey to Spain and Sweden. Flights will be provided at no additional cost to passengers.
NEW YORK (AP) — Google is ending so-called "first click free," a policy loathed by many publishers and media because it required a limited amount of free content from them before readers could be subjected to a paywall. Richard Gingras, vice president of news at Google Inc., says publishers will now be allowed to decide how many, if any, free articles they want to offer readers before charging a fee. The minimum number of items offered under the previous Google search engine rules had been three.