BOSTON (AP) — Boston public school officials are reconsidering a plan that would let students get up later for class.

School officials announced last week that more than 94 percent of students in grades 7-12 would begin their days at or after 8 a.m. starting next school year. That's up from 27 percent.

The Boston Globe reported Friday that Superintendent Tommy Chang wrote a letter to parents and teachers saying the system is now rethinking the plan given concerns of parents.

Chang said he's committed to finding a solution. Schedules will be finalized in mid-January.

The district said the later start times reflected a growing body of research supporting later start mornings for teens.

School officials worked with MIT researchers to develop the new schedule. The district serves 57,000 students in 125 schools.


Information from: The Boston Globe,