14 school cafeteria workers hospitalized after gas leak
Oct. 18, 2017
MIAMI (AP) — Authorities say 14 employees at a Florida school were hospitalized following a possible gas leak in the cafeteria.
The Miami Herald reports that the Miami Springs Middle School workers noticed a suspicious smell and began complaining of dizziness and nausea around noon Wednesday. Miami-Dade Fire Rescue Lt. Felipe Lay says 17 fire-rescue teams, including a hazmat crew, responded. The workers' conditions weren't immediately reported.
Firefighters evacuated the cafeteria and a nearby classroom. No students had been in the cafeteria, and none of the students from the classroom showed symptoms. A school district spokeswoman says classes continued, and lunch was served in other parts of the school.
Lay says carbon monoxide was detected in the cafeteria before fans were brought in. School officials believe the cafeteria's propane system may have malfunctioned.
Information from: The Miami Herald, http://www.herald.com