The Latest: California vows to keep fighting health cutoff
Oct. 25, 2017
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — The Latest on a lawsuit by 18 states over "Obamacare" subsidies cut off by the Trump administration (all times local):
California Attorney General Xavier Becerra says he will continue to press a lawsuit seeking to restore health care subsidies cut off by the Trump administration even after a judge refused to grant an emergency request to resume the payments.
Becerra said in a statement on Wednesday that the payments were critical to keeping health care costs affordable for working families. U.S. District Judge Vince Chhabria in San Francisco earlier in the day rejected that claim, saying California and other states had devised workarounds to the lost subsidies that give millions of lower-income people even better health care options.
He denied an injunction sought by the states to force the Trump administration to immediately resume the payments.
A federal judge has rejected a request by 18 states to force the federal government to immediately resume paying health care subsidies that President Donald Trump cut off.
U.S. District Judge Vince Chhabria in San Francisco on Wednesday denied an injunction sought by the states.
The payments reimburse insurers for reducing out-of-pocket costs to low-income consumers who get coverage under former President Barack Obama's health care law.
Trump halted the payments earlier this month, saying "Obamacare" is imploding. He says the subsidies should be explicitly authorized by Congress.
The states say Trump is illegally trying to sabotage Obama's health care law and his actions will create higher costs for both consumers and taxpayers.