Nats shakeup...Incognito arrested...Giant's Cruz retiring
Aug. 21, 2018
UNDATED (AP) — It's appears to be back to the drawing board for the Washington Nationals. They've traded second baseman Daniel Murphy to the Chicago Cubs and first baseman Matt Adams to the St. Louis Cardinals, essentially throwing in the towel on a disappointing season. The third-place Nationals -- 7½ games behind the NL East-leading Atlanta Braves --announced the moves today before beginning a three-game series against the Philadelphia Phillies.
SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. (AP) — Authorities say former NFL offensive lineman Richie Incognito has been arrested in Arizona on charges he threatened to shoot employees of a funeral home. Scottsdale police say Incognito is being held on suspicion of misdemeanor charges of threats and disorderly conduct. It was unclear Tuesday if the 35-year-old Incognito has a lawyer who can speak on his behalf. Police say Incognito was at the funeral home Monday to make arrangements for his father, who died last weekend.
EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (AP) — Former New York Giants wide receiver Victor Cruz has retired. In making the announcement today, the 31-year-old Cruz said he plans to join ESPN as an NFL analyst. Cruz will contribute to variety of shows and make his ESPN debut Wednesday. Cruz was a seven-year NFL veteran and a 2012 Pro Bowl selection. He joined the Giants in 2010 as an undrafted free agent out of Massachusetts.
VERMILLION, S.D. (AP) — A trial is underway for a former University of South Dakota football player charged with second-degree attempted rape. The Argus Leader reports that jury selection began Monday for 22-year-old Dale Williamson. Police allege he and another football player entered a bedroom where a woman was having consensual sex with another player and assaulted her at the off-campus residence the three players shared in October 2017. Williamson denies the allegation and has said he wasn't even in the room.
NEW YORK (AP) — Kobe Bryant won't be coming out of retirement to play in the BIG3 next year. A spokesperson for the longtime Los Angeles Lakers star said today that Bryant isn't playing next season in the 3-on-3 league of former NBA players. Speculation that Bryant would play had heated up earlier in the day when league co-founder and entertainment executive Jeff Kwatinetz said during the league's weekly conference call that he "did hear from a credible source yesterday that Kobe says he's playing next year."