Suspect Declared Innocent in Assassination Case
Apr. 15, 1995
TOLUCA, Mexico (AP) _ A man charged with complicity in the murder of a leading presidential candidate was set free Friday from a maximum security prison after a judge declared him innocent.
``I was treated very well and I cannot complain,'' Tranquilino Sanchez told reporters in Toluca. ``I don't have any plans now, other than go and rest in Guadalajara.''
Sanchez had been held for more than a year at nearby Almoloya de Juarez prison for alleged complicity in the March 23, 1994 shooting of Luis Donaldo Colosio, the ruling Institutional Revolutionary Party's presidential candidate.
Colosio's campaign manager, Ernesto Zedillo, won the election Aug. 21.
Prosecutors had charged that Sanchez had helped clear a path through a campaign crowd in Tijuana so that Mario Aburto Martinez, the convicted gunman, could shoot Colosio. Aburto has been sentenced to 45 years imprisonment.
On Thursday night, 1st Criminal Court Judge Alejandro Sosa Ortiz declared Sanchez innocent, saying the evidence did not substantiate the accusation.
Prosecutor Daniel Aguirre Luna said he plans to appeal.
Two other Tijuana residents, Vicente Mayoral Valenzuela and his son, Rodolfo Mayoral Esquer, have also been charged with complicity in the murder and remain in Almoloya. The judge has yet to rule on their cases.