SAN SEBASTIAN, Spain (AP) _ Terrorists set off a bomb near a soccer field in this city in the northern Basque region Saturday, killing a Civil Guard and seriously injuring five other people, a police spokesman said.

The packet bomb with 22 pounds of explosives had been attached to a light post next to the field, the spokesman said, and it was triggered by remote control when the car of Civil Guard Cpl. Luis Arago Guillen, 28, passed by.

Three other Civil Guards in Guillen's car and two bystanders - a father and his 12-year-old son - were seriously injured in the explosion, the spokesman said.

No one immediately claimed responsibility for the blast, but police suspect the Basque separatist organization ETA, which is seeking independence from Spain for the three-province northern Basque region.

ETA has claimed responsibility for attacks that have claimed more than 650 lives since it began its violent campaign for independence in 1968.