Man Who Cooked Poison Mushrooms for Son Is Charged
Aug. 02, 1985
FLORENCE, Italy (AP) _ A man who served his 9-year-old son poisonous mushrooms that he gathered in the Tuscan woods has been charged with manslaughter, the Italian news agency reported.
Michele Cetta told police that he believed the mushrooms were not poisonous because they did not turned black when he had cooked them with garlic, the news agency ANSA reported Thursday.
Authorities charged Cetta with causing the death of his son, Marco, because of unskillfulness, imprudence and negligence, ANSA said.
The poisoning occurred after the family went to a spring near their Tuscan town of Montemurlo to bottle water, and Cetta picked some wild mushrooms. When the family returned home, Cetta cooked the mushrooms for himself and the boy, ANSA quoted authorities as saying.
Both father and son became ill and were hospitalized. The father recovered, but the son died after 10 days.