%mlink(STRY:; PHOTO:; AUDIO:%)

PITTSBURGH (AP) _ A Carnegie Mellon University professor was shot and wounded by police after he fired on an officer trying to intervene in an apparent domestic dispute, authorities said.

Edward W. Constant, 59, an associate professor of history, was charged with attempted murder after the shootings Sunday at his Mount Lebanon home. His wife, Susan, also was charged for allegedly trying to shield her husband from police.

He was hospitalized in fair condition Tuesday with gunshot wounds to the hip and buttocks. The officer, Dan Rieg, was shot in the chest, but he was wearing a bulletproof vest and suffered only bruising and a cut, police said.

Police said officers responding to reports of a domestic dispute saw Constant pushing his wife to the floor as they arrived at the home. She told officers everything was all right, and tried to slam the door before officers could intervene, police said.

Constant fired a .44-caliber Smith & Wesson revolver at point blank range, striking Rieg in the chest and knocking him down the front steps, police said.

The Constants then came out of the house, and police said Ms. Constant walked in front of her husband and prevented officers from getting a clear aim even though Constant continued firing. Rieg eventually was able to shoot Constant in the backside, authorities said.

Ms. Constant, 47, was charged with conspiracy to commit attempted murder, conspiracy to commit aggravated assault, reckless endangerment and obstructing justice.

In addition to attempted murder, Constant was charged with aggravated assault, criminal conspiracy and simple assault. The Constants were both ordered to undergo psychiatric testing.

Constant joined the Carnegie Mellon faculty in 1976, a year before completing his doctorate at Northwestern University. School officials did not immediately return a call Tuesday seeking comment on the arrest.

It could not be immediately determined Tuesday if the Constants have attorneys. A hospital operator refused to relay calls to Edward Constant's room.

Deputy Police Chief Henry Egal said records show police went to the house twice _ in August and October _ to quell fights between Constant and his wife.

Egal said officers recall being at the home more frequently, which may mean they answered calls at other addresses complaining about noise from the Constant home.