Dutch Teenagers Arrested For Digging Up Graves
Aug. 11, 1990
EINDHOVEN, Netherlands (AP) _ Two Dutch teenagers were arrested Saturday as they tried to open a grave in the cemetery of a Roman Catholic monastery. They said they were digging for human skulls, Dutch television reported.
The two suspects, aged 16 and 18, had already removed a tombstone when they were surprised by the monastery's gardener, the report said.
The report quoted police as saying the two had removed at least two skulls, one of which they sold to an unknown buyer for $56.
The did not say whether anything else was stolen from the desecrated tombs.
The teenagers were suspected of desecrating at least two other graves at the monastery and two more at a public cemetery in this southern Dutch city since mid-June, the television said.
The suspects were not identified in line with Dutch police practice.